Large blood in urine? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have type 1. Every time a doctor takes a urine sample for anything they find trace amounts of blood. But a few times, and twice list week I've had several hour periods where I was peeing large amounts, bright red blood. The first time they said it HAD to be a urinary tract infection, but the tests came back that I had no infection. They also mentioned kidney stones, but I didn't have the specific pain you usually get with that.

I was wondering if anyone else had had episodes of peeing a large amount of blood?

great question

Emily,

I don't know the type of doctor you are seeing, but you need to report this to the doctor and see a urologist as soon as possible. This would be considered a medical emergency if you are peeing out large amounts of blood like that. If this heavy bleeding occurs and you cannot get into a doctor's office, the emergency room would be an option.

Please take care and don't let this go on without medical attention.

Ally

Hi emily in July I had exactly the same thing. Was in hospital because of it for 7 days. They still dont know what the problem was. I had every test available including ct scan MRI scan and a camera inserted. They are still none the wiser what caused it now but i am fully recovered

This happened to be once before about 18 months ago. That time I went to Urgent Care, they said it was UTI but called a few days later to tell me the culture showed no bacteria, so it wasn't. I went to a urologist that time and he did cystoscopy which was normal, I don't remember if he ran any other tests, but he concluded, basically by eliminating other things it was probable a kidney stone that I had already passed. Since so much time passed and it didn't happen again, I was pretty satisfied.

This time, I again had to go to urgent care because the first incident was on Christmas. They said UTI and then called and said, it wasn't but to come back in (coincidentally on the day the blood started again). Both episodes of bleeding lasted a number of hours but stopped spontaneously. When I came back they gave me antibiotics and ran another culture (they really seemed to want infection to be the answer, but it just wasn't) and told me to take ibuprofen (to reduce inflammation in case it was a kidney stone. They said they could do a CT scan and see if there were stones in my kidney(s) but they didn't want to unnecessarily expose me to more radiation (I have been extremely ill for over a year with an unrelated illness called gastroparesis, when they were trying to figure out what was wrong I had a lot of radiation heavy imaging). The real problem with scanning for kidney stones is that if they caused the bleeding they wouldn't still be in my kidney, so finding stones in my kidneys wouldn't positively say I was bleeding because of that. And I don't have most of the symptoms of kidney stones. It was suggested to me by one doctor that the malnutrition from the gastroparesis could exasperate my clotting issues. An IV was put in on the second visit, and the bruise it left was pretty extreme, even for me.

At this point, since the bleeding has stopped, I see very little option other than doing nothing unless it happens again.

I am supposed to have a procedure for the gastroparesis in two weeks. It is an endoscopy with some additional procedures, so there is no incision, but they may take biopsies so if my bleeding time is way out of wach then I'm going to have some problems. (They always check it just before the procedure, though.)

allergic said:

Emily,

I don't know the type of doctor you are seeing, but you need to report this to the doctor and see a urologist as soon as possible. This would be considered a medical emergency if you are peeing out large amounts of blood like that. If this heavy bleeding occurs and you cannot get into a doctor's office, the emergency room would be an option.

Ally

Emily,

Well, I don't know if the gastroparesis is related to the urinary bleeding, although malnutrition can affect the kidneys. You said they thought maybe kidney stones. Do they have you straining your urine to see if any stones pass?

You said you have type I VWD. You should not be taking ibuprofen or any anti-inflamatories since they will increase bleeding. Check all your meds, if you are on any, for contraindications for people with bleeding disorders. Some herbs cause bleeding too.

Just wondering about that.

Ally

emily6609 said:

This happened to be once before about 18 months ago. That time I went to Urgent Care, they said it was UTI but called a few days later to tell me the culture showed no bacteria, so it wasn't. I went to a urologist that time and he did cystoscopy which was normal, I don't remember if he ran any other tests, but he concluded, basically by eliminating other things it was probable a kidney stone that I had already passed. Since so much time passed and it didn't happen again, I was pretty satisfied.

This time, I again had to go to urgent care because the first incident was on Christmas. They said UTI and then called and said, it wasn't but to come back in (coincidentally on the day the blood started again). Both episodes of bleeding lasted a number of hours but stopped spontaneously. When I came back they gave me antibiotics and ran another culture (they really seemed to want infection to be the answer, but it just wasn't) and told me to take ibuprofen (to reduce inflammation in case it was a kidney stone. They said they could do a CT scan and see if there were stones in my kidney(s) but they didn't want to unnecessarily expose me to more radiation (I have been extremely ill for over a year with an unrelated illness called gastroparesis, when they were trying to figure out what was wrong I had a lot of radiation heavy imaging). The real problem with scanning for kidney stones is that if they caused the bleeding they wouldn't still be in my kidney, so finding stones in my kidneys wouldn't positively say I was bleeding because of that. And I don't have most of the symptoms of kidney stones. It was suggested to me by one doctor that the malnutrition from the gastroparesis could exasperate my clotting issues. An IV was put in on the second visit, and the bruise it left was pretty extreme, even for me.

At this point, since the bleeding has stopped, I see very little option other than doing nothing unless it happens again.

I am supposed to have a procedure for the gastroparesis in two weeks. It is an endoscopy with some additional procedures, so there is no incision, but they may take biopsies so if my bleeding time is way out of wach then I'm going to have some problems. (They always check it just before the procedure, though.)

allergic said:

Emily,

Ally

Thank you so much for your concern.

I'm not at all sure this is a Von Willibrands issue. I just thought it migt be and I was wondering if anyone had experienced it. I take ibprofen very rarely. The theory was, if it was kidney stones the benefit outweighed the risk. Honestly, most of the time my symptoms are more annoying than serious (always that trace of blood in my urine, really heavy periods, nose bleeds that take forever to stop, and the bruising, bleeding gums) I've had 3 minor surgeries in my life, all arthroscopic, and they all went ok. My mom, who I inherited it from, found out when an organ ruptured and she nearly bled to death internally and had to have transfusions. So I am careful. I very well may have just had two kidney stones that passed on those two days that for some reason weren't as painful as they usually are.

allergic said:

Emily,

Well, I don't know if the gastroparesis is related to the urinary bleeding, although malnutrition can affect the kidneys. You said they thought maybe kidney stones. Do they have you straining your urine to see if any stones pass?

You said you have type I VWD. You should not be taking ibuprofen or any anti-inflamatories since they will increase bleeding. Check all your meds, if you are on any, for contraindications for people with bleeding disorders. Some herbs cause bleeding too.

Just wondering about that.

Ally

emily6609 said:

allergic said:

Emily,

Ally