Blood Donations

Hello,

I was curious if I should not give blood with VWD. In the past I gave blood prior to diagnosis. I don't plan on giving blood again after getting so sick, but I was wondering if I am able to with VWD. Good knowledge to have in the event of a family member needing blood immediately for example.

Good to know. Guess that would count me out for normal donations then, but it seems like it could be acceptable by a doctor if there were an emergency situation. Thank you for the information!

Elodie said:

According to the following website, you can donate if no episodes of major bleeds and never required treatment:

http://nybloodcenter.org/media/filer_public/2014/06/04/med_conditio...

It’s best to be upfront with the organization you are donating to. They will have policies in place that will answer your question. I haven’t personally asked about giving blood because I have an egg albumin allergy, I can’t give blood so I never pursued the question as that has been the policy for years. My guess is that they would be hesitant as the blood is missing some of the platelets.

John the elder

Certainly, I hope the people who have received my blood in the past were okay. I do not think I'll donate again unless necessary. Being diagnosed explains why I was able to donate twice in my life, but then be told the other times I was too anemic to donate.

Johntheelder said:

It's best to be upfront with the organization you are donating to. They will have policies in place that will answer your question. I haven't personally asked about giving blood because I have an egg albumin allergy, I can't give blood so I never pursued the question as that has been the policy for years. My guess is that they would be hesitant as the blood is missing some of the platelets.

John the elder