VWD type 1 and birth control

Hi,
I have type 1 VWD and am having a terrible time finding a birthcontrol that works for me in helping my bleeding. My periods can last months at times and this has made me anemic. What i first did was try a pill a couple years ago, I was young and missed a pill and my body reacted so bad with constant bleeding for over a month that i decided to drop the birth control all together. As i got older I decided to get the Depo Shot and I was on that for a year, i would bleed for weeks towards the end of a round until I got my shot again. My doctors decided to put me back on a pill, so now i am on Viorele (estrogen and progestin) and I have been taking this for 3 months but at this point I am starting to have my long periods (right now on week 3). I am working with my doctor, hemotoligist and my gynecologist but I don’t feel they are going to get it right any time soon. Anyone have any solutions?

1 Like

Hi! I don’t have good answer for you, just wanted to wish you luck in your quest. Finding the right BC pill that works for you is a lot of trial and error even for someone without VWD. It’s not like you can tell right away when you begin a new one that it is working. Unfortunately, it takes at least 3-6 months. The only thing that worked 100% for me was Lupron-depot because it basically puts you into temporary menopause. IVF clinics use it to stop periods and time embryo implantation procedures.

Thank you for the luck, I think I’m going to need it! I’m assuming that hasn’t been given to me as an option because I am only 20 years old. I have tried tranexamic acid and it does not work for me, but now I have been represcribed my Desmopressin-stimate that used to work for me as a child. So hopefully that can control the bleeding! Thank you for replying.

Hi i use the depo i find it works really well for me… But VWD or not i believe you have to try what you can and find what works for you… Everyone works different…