Tooth extraction!

so as my profile states, i am 27 years old and was diagnosed 5 years ago with vwd type 1. the doctors that diagnosed me assured me there was not much i needed to do on a day to day basis and that the only time i may face issues with this disorder was if i were to have any sort of surgery, especially oral. they also explained there were medicines i could take, but that they are expensive. i am currently a child care provider and not making a ton of money (but very happy with my job!). the money i do make goes mostly to paying off student loans so i do not have health or dental insurance. i recently went to the dentist though and they told me i needed a wisdom tooth pulled since it was becoming impacted. i have had teeth pulled in the past in high school and developed a high fever and it took several days for the bleeding to stop (at that time i did not know i had vwd). i explained all of this to my dentist, who recommended me to an oral surgeon who supposedly knows all about vwd. when i made the appointment, i explained to them that i had vwd and they asked me if i planned to take any form of medication before the surgery. i told them no and they made of note of that and i heard nothing further from them, so i assumed this was fine. my boss is a cardiologist and did some research for me before my dentists appointment and said that there are nasal sprays i can take or they could possibly give me an iv drip. however, he also said that the more you take these medications, the less effective they are in the future, so if it was possible not to take it, i shouldnt. i went into my appointment and was sitting in the dental chair when the surgeon asked me if i had been taking any medication the last few days before the surgery. i told him no, and he explained that he could not do the surgery on me because of this and he had me leave. he said it was too risky and i may end up in the emergency room due to excessive bleeding. luckily, it is no rush for me to have this tooth removed (he suggested i do it before i am 30). still, i am wondering: has anyone had a wisdom tooth removed with vwd? were there complications? did you take medications? if so, what kind? how expensive are these medications? i also do not have a hematologist. is it expensive without health insurance?

John, my daughter is a Dentist. Her patient with VWB needed an extraction and he had to get medication called Factor 8 which I think is a blood coagulant derived from donated blood. Have you been definitely diagnosed with VWB?

Hello Lacedinlove,

Please contact the following organization. They provide assistance to those who have certain genetic disorders. Von Willebrands is one of those. They have helped me pay for my medical needs and are wonderful. They have been a life saver for me. https://www.patientservicesinc.org/

Take care,

Allergic

The hematologist makes the determination of the severity of the VWB and prescribes the applicable strength of medication.

lacedinlove said:

i think i have a really mild form of it though, because i have very minimal symptoms.

leevitello said:

John, my daughter is a Dentist. Her patient with VWB needed an extraction and he had to get medication called Factor 8 which I think is a blood coagulant derived from donated blood. Have you been definitely diagnosed with VWB?

great post!

You're very welcome, I hope it works out good for you.

Allergic

lacedinlove said:

thank you, allergic! i will most definitely look into that! :-) very very much appreciated.

allergic said:

Hello Lacedinlove,

Please contact the following organization. They provide assistance to those who have certain genetic disorders. Von Willebrands is one of those. They have helped me pay for my medical needs and are wonderful. They have been a life saver for me. https://www.patientservicesinc.org/

Take care,

Allergic

i had to have all 4 wisdom teeth extracted about 10 yrs ago and had to have it done in hospital under general anaesthetic and stayed in over night to monitor me incase of bleeding! i cant really remember what drugs i was given for clotting but definately had something it may have been factor 8 or desmopressin.i have type 2m vwd. actually have realised that comment was not much help to u!!im in the uk aswell so didnt have to pay.hope u get it sorted! :-)

Hi im having the same problem i am 27 and just found out 26 i stop taking my nasal spray because caused headaches and sickness of feeling like i want to threw up was not good also made me depress and stuff also gain weight. i was not happy with my hematologist i would spend so much money on a doc who told me ill be back to u on that question when i had a questions! i was not happy i even told them how i felt and they still act like it was fine. so i said screw it i stop taking meds i lost weight but im still worried about my wisdom teeth and i always worried about what my dentist going to say but its a lot of money. the spray can run up 200.00 to 350.00 and with my insurance 50.00 or 20.00 depend on my insurance at the time Kasier help me with there benefits for people who make less in a year so. that might help but all i can say is before u call or make appointment with any doctor make sure the doctor knows what VWD means i found my self to the point they know only a little and use there computer to find answers the questions i asked.

I had 5. I have type 2 border type 3. You can take bleeding medications for a week before oral surgery, till a few days after. it will not make it any less effective. Ask your hemotoligist about Amicar. I have to have picc lines before surgery and I have to have Factor 8,because mine is so severe. Also contact your local DHS, people with VWD there is usually special insurance. I have it, and it will cover any bleeding medication, hemotoligist, testing. But call like I said. It is a real life savor. Best of luck to you

Stimate is the nasal spray for VWD. It helps MAKE the clot. Amicar is the liquid that helps HOLD the clot together. It also comes in a pill form under a different name. Thank the goddess for that because no amount of flavoring can hide the nasty taste of Amicar. Humate-P is concentrated VW factor. Factor 8 is concentrated factor for hemophilia. 2 totally different factors. One of my daughters has to take both and 1 of my sons has to take both when he has surgery.